Sunday, March 13, 2011

First Sunday of Lent

     I've been searching my heart for a few weeks for a suitable Lenten sacrifice. I thought about giving up lunches out, but my friends at work protested the sacrifice they would have to make for my spiritual growth. I considered the standards of wine, soft drinks, desserts, sex (that last one is never really serious) but none of those seemed like they would get the job done. I know I'm already four days in, but finally this Sunday the Holy Spirit gave me an answer. "Start your blog."
     I don't really know yet what I'll write about, but I do know that at least until Easter Sunday this blog will focus on spirituality. My Lord has asked that I let you know how I feel about Him, my Church, and my life with Him in it. So I'll start with a little background.
     I'm a wife of 28 years, a mom of two grown boys, a counselor of counselors, and a converted Catholic. One thing I've learned is that my Lord has a sense of humor; I witness this daily, but never more so than when I think about my conversion to a religion that I once thought of as akin to voodoo. I grew up with a Baptist mom and a Methodist dad and a whole mess of strong Protestant relatives. They taught me how to love, pray, and eat!  When I was 21, I met my hot Catholic husband, and within a few months of dating him, I was madly in love.  I told Father David at our pre-marriage counseling that I wanted to convert. He advised me to wait until we had been married a while. He knew that I would have done anything for my new fiance, and he wanted me to make certain that Catholicism was what I really wanted. Dean and I got married in the Church, but when we had our boys, we tried both the Catholic and Methodist churches until it was time to make a decision for the boys. I prayed about our decision for at least six months until one day the Holy Spirit led me to the Catholic church. So for the next few weeks, I will tell you how the Spirit has "renewed my heart and kindled in me the fire of His love" ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment