Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Love People

     I seriously love people! You will probably find this odd, but I'm fascinated by people the same way that a bug collector loves bugs or a paleontologist rejoices when she discovers an amazing fossil.  I could stand in an elementary cafeteria all day and watch the kids interacting, each one of them a little treasure. So tonight when I did my readings and read these words in Jeremiah, "Cursed is the man who trusts in human beings," I felt a little sad.  Later, the verse reads, "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord."  Maybe I can understand what the Lord is telling me after all.
      I have been so blessed with the people God has placed in my life. Professionally, I have had the best mentors beginning with my dad. I work with the most amazing people, and I have had the privilege of meeting kids who have shown me how much a person can survive and still thrive.  Personally, I have had wonderful friends who made me laugh and who gave me a sense of belonging and acceptance. My family is incredible~ each in their own way. My boys are so loving and so special, all three of them. 
     But, if I'm really being honest, there have been times when I've been hurt by the people in my life when they have let me down. And honestly, there have been times when I've let the people I care about down.  We're human beings; that's what we do.  We're never going to be able to love each other with the kind of love described in Corinthians until we get to Heaven.  People come in and out of our lives, and we should love them and appreciate them while we have them, but I think what the Lord is telling us is that we can't put other people at the center of our universe no matter how much we love them. If we do, we're bound to be disappointed. But if we make the Lord the center, if we place our hope for salvation in Him alone, we will always be nourished.

No comments:

Post a Comment