Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Mass Simplified

     I enjoy coming in to a quiet sanctuary. When I enter the pew, I make the sign of the cross and pray. Usually I  thank God for getting us to mass, and I ask him to open our hearts and help us have a good mass. The Mass is divided into three parts. The first part is called the Introductory Rites. During this part, we say hello to God, we admit that we are sinners and ask for mercy, and we tell God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit how glorious they are in the ancient hymn, the Gloria. This part is supposed to open our hearts for the second and third parts of the mass and is done through ritualistic prayers and signs. I find these rituals very comforting. I like knowing that, although the language and details may differ, Catholics all over the world have performed these rituals every day for 2000 years. This knowledge helps me feel connected to something much larger than myself.
     The second part of the Mass is the Liturgy of the Word where we hear the Word being read, then we hear the word from the priest, then we tell the Lord that we believe Him by reciting the Creed . There are usually four readings which all have a central theme, usually one from the Old Testament, a Psalm, one from the New Testament letters, and always one from the Gospel. Before the Gospel reading we stand and sing Alleluia because we are about to hear from Jesus.After the readings, the priest gives the homily or sermon which is supposed to be about the readings of the day. Every day of the year there are daily readings; the readings are done in a cycle of three years so that the entire Bible is covered.
     The last most important part of the Mass is the Liturgy of the Eucharist. The Catholic church has arranged this part of the Mass to be exactly the way Christ instituted this sacrament at the Last Supper. Just as Christ was transfigured on the mountain with Moses and Elijah, we believe that the bread and wine are transfigured to be the actual body and blood of Christ. Jesus loved us so much that He found a way to physically stay with us even after his return to Heaven. I believe that I am who I am today because of Jesus, because of the Eucharist. Jesus desires to be physically part of me and to have me take him out into the world for others. There just aren't any words to explain the joy  and thanksgiving I feel for the Eucharist.
     I need to hear the word, pray before the Blessed Body, have communion with my fellow Catholics, and mostly to receive the Eucharist if I have any hope at all of making through my week and of being His light to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment